Sunday, April 20, 2008

Lincoln Tunnel

The Lincoln Tunnel is one of two tunnels that connects Manhattan with the great (and often maligned) state of New Jersey.

According to The Encyclopedia of New York City, it took more than 2 decades to build the tunnel. It has a main central tube, and two smaller tubes to the north and south.

This morning, I ran through the southern one.

The event is called The Lincoln Tunnel Challenge and is a fundraiser for New Jersey's Special Olympics. They clean out the tube the night before, and keep air constantly circulating. So it's easier to breath than you'd expect if you know the tunnel. And you probably get through more quickly than when you're in a car. :-)

As an event, it could use some better planning. I'm sure the organizers have their hands full, but... It would really help if
  1. There were more frequent shuttle buses to/from NYC.
  2. The walkers started 15 minutes behind the runners (or at least further back). We runners had to constantly dodge the walkers, which couldn't have been fun for them either.
  3. The location of the baggage area was clearer.
  4. There were any sort of clear instructions on where to get the bus back to NYC.
Despite that, I had a really good time. I ran into a friend of mine from work and her husband. She's suffering from back problems and had to walk rather than run, which is a shame because it's always fun to run with a friend.

It's a 5k race. You start by running away from New Jersey, are really excited to arrive in New York; then you finally find yourself back in New Jersey.

Hmm. I've known some people who'd describe their life's story like that.

The contours of the course are really simple: you start by running downhill for the first 1/4, then you run uphill to make it to Manhattan. On the way back you do the same: start downhill, and end going uphill.

A number of people stopped midway, to get their picture taken in the tunnel at the point that marks "New Jersey" on one side, and "New York" on the other. I wish I'd brought a camera and done the same, even if I accidentally almost bowled over one person who stopped to take a picture.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

I never knew they cleaned out the tunnel and kept fresh air circulating! I wonder if they do that for the Tunnel to Towers run...Good to know!

Robert W. said...

Wow, I didn't even know that Tunnel to Towers Run existed. Thanks!

It's definitely tempting. I like the idea of running over/through as many NYC bridges and tunnels as possible. So far I've done 4 bridges (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Williamsburgh, and Queensboro), and will do the George Washington with TNT this year and the Verrazano at the marathon); plus I've done 1 tunnel. It would be pretty cool to do another.

Thanks for mentioning this race!